Connecticut Authors and Publishers

A Literary Community Learning from One Another

Hi All -

I joined CT Authors & Publishers back in August, when I started seriously dedicating time to writing after obtaining my BS in Communications. I am 34 and have 3 kids, so I am super busy most of the time. I just finished writing a YA novel, and now that I've finished it, I'm a little lost/overwhelmed as to what to do next. I had explored CreateSpace for self-publishing a while ago, but I'd love some feedback from actual writers--has anyone used this service? It was recommended by a creative writing teacher at Univ. of Phoenix. I think the only thing I really need to do is get a tax ID to get started using it. Is this the way to go today when you are a new author, or is it best to try to find a real editor/publisher and go that route? I'm just not certain how to get it out there, I guess.

I also have the 2014 Writer's Market for Fiction, which I have been looking through. I am working on some short stories and plan to submit them to some of the contests I found in there.

Thanks for any feedback, I really appreciate it!!

-Monique

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Monique. Self-publishing is certainly an option, but you need to do a lot of promotion for your book. Also, make sure your book is error-free! A good editor can be a blessing. I went the tradtitional route and got an agent, so I can't speak about Creaet A Space.  You might think of joining CAPA. I honestly don't get a lot out of these boards. Actually joining is much better!  There is no "right" way to go when it comes to publishing. Self-publishing is not the route I wanted to go, but others feel differently. Hope that helps!  I'm not on here a lot so feel free to email me directly if you have more quesitons-I'll try and help! karoline@karolinebarrett.com

Best wishes!!

Welcome Monique. I've used CreateSpace for two books and recommend it for ease of use. I chose the Indie route because of time and my age. However, were I in my thirties, I might first try Traditional publishing, at least test the waters to see what response you get. No matter which you choose, you are expected to aggressively market and promote your book. It's definitely an uphill climb, in my opinion.

Traditionally:  Write a killer query and synopsis to submit to agents and/or editors (some will consider unagented YA I've heard, but can't advise). I like AgentQuery.com to find agents representing your genre. Read their summary info then visit their sites for current interests and submission requirements, and submit your query—all done at leisure (ha!) from your home at no cost.

Also, attend conferences and pitch face-to-face. Attend any writer's meetings, most are more than willing to share their experience.

Also, see details about The Write Stuff contest from Conn. Romance Writers of America. It's open right now with a May 1st deadline. For a small registration fee (much less than attending a conference), 25 pages of your work (no synopsis needed) will be critiqued for strengths and weaknesses in the YA category by member judges. You can then edit and revise, or not, before your submission is passed on to the agent and editor judges (Kensington, Harlequin, several literary agencies).

I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing you at a CAPA meeting.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Peggy Gaffney.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service